Welcome to The Creative Spirit

WELCOME.....to The Creative Spirit....my own little creative nook, filled with simple little projects, grand ideas, and anything suggested by my Creative Muse........

Saturday, July 4, 2015

Cabinets, Trunks and Other Old Things

Oh my...the list goes on and on....


 
 
My husband's aunt had an auction as she is moving in with one of her sons and therefore needed to get rid of a lifetime of stuff.  I bought this little kitchen cabinet with granite top for 12 bucks...I know it looks rugged but THIS is after I cleaned it up some...you should have seen it before. The inside bottom board was rusted from cans of old paint. I plan to paint it but haven't managed to get that done yet!  This picture below shows the inside after I removed all the old wood with rust attached and put down a shelf liner....I'll probably put in a new board at some point! 
 
 
Next we have my next crazy purchase of the day.......TWO very old trunks that are in pretty bad condition on the outsides!  The insides are really surprisingly in pretty good shape.  Can I redo these?  I'm not sure....Oh, Pinterest....I'll have to visit you soon to see what might be possible.


The one on the right is actually in the best shape, inside and out so I plan to redo that and see if I can use it near my front door. Will have to see what it looks like when I finish.

 
The material is sort of a thin metal covering so perhaps after I sand it then it could be painted or covered with something (contact paper, fabric?) I believe both date back to the late 1800s so I shouldn't be surprised at the condition plus they were stored in a shed.

 
You can see that the wood on the inside is actually in pretty good condition.  I bought both for 25 dollars so even if I can't manage to get them "pretty".....I haven't wasted much money!
 
I hope to be back soon with some AFTER pictures....or at least some completed project...otherwise this to do list is going to get out of control!


No comments:

Post a Comment